A mini sleeping bag for your legs
Give your thighs some love.
Introducing essential winter riding gear: the gorgeous, incredibly warm, breathable, waterproof, easy to put on/off, insulated riding skirt!
These winter riding skirts will change your life and keep you warm and dry on and off your horse. Wear over your riding breeches or jeans.
Our lightest insulated waterproof riding skirt, made for spring/fall riding, teaching, chores, and running errands in cold weather. These little skirts keep you way warmer than you'd ever imagine!
Anatomy of a Short Narrow Arctic Insulated Skirt
- 100% waterproof & breathable. None of this "water-resistant" mumbo-jumbo. Have you every heard of anyone who want to be dry for only a few hours of a storm? No. Thank you. Waterproof means you won't get soaked no matter what.
- Incredibly light & super warm with 3.6 ounces of the best synthetic insulation available (used by the US Military).
- Covers the rider. Unzip rear zipper for riding.
- 19" long, falls just above knee. All that love for your thighs. Believe us, it makes a big difference!
- 2-way front zipper. You can adjust how open or closed the front opening is depending on weather and your preference.
- Deep cozy fleece lined pockets. Our pockets are legendary!
- Machine Wash & Dry. Get it disgusting and throw it in the washer and dryer, easy-peasy. You have enough things that are hard to clean (horse, saddle blankets, leather, children...)
- Made in Alaska. Tested in some of the most extreme conditions on earth.
- We donate a portion of the proceeds to the non-profit of your choice. If everyone gives a little, we can change things a whole lot.
- Optional ($20): Silver Reflective Piping around hem. Scroll through pictures to see example. Be seen in darker conditions!
- Scroll through photos to see color options
See Size Chart here.
The Arctic Horse Difference:
- American made in Alaska
- Women owned and operated
- Heritage of quality: our seamstresses have skills handed down to them through hundreds of years of cultural sewing.
- THEY WORK. Tested in some of most extreme conditions on earth.
We’re American made (and tested!) right here in Alaska. We employ Alaskans and source American-made materials whenever we can.
We’re woman owned and operated! Real women's gear developed for women by women. That statement really doesn't need further explanation as to why that's a very good thing.
I'm sure you've head the term, "they don't make 'em like they used to." Well, we do.
Our seamstress team of Russian Orthodox women have been sewing their own dresses for hundreds of years. Theirs is a heritage of excellent sewing quality not often seen in clothes manufacturing today.
That excellence is reflected in the hundreds of 5 star reviews of our skirts. They're tough, they work, and they're going to do their job so you can do yours.
We donate a portion of the proceeds to a non-profit of your choice.
Amazing + much needed gear, locally made, excellent craftswomanship, and we give back to the community.
How many win-win-wins is that?
We can talk the talk because we’ve walked the walk.
I’m Jen Dushane, the Founder of Arctic Horse. I’m a life-long equestrian and wildlife biologist in Alaska. Translation: that’s a whole lotta bad weather living.
After freezing, getting soaked, and being generally miserable using standard women’s gear women, I developed Arctic Horse All Weather Riding Skirts.
As I was already wrapping blankets tied with baling twine around myself (read: unsafe and ridiculous), I looked down one day and realized, what I really needed was a skirt…
Not because I liked skirts (actually, I never EVER wore skirts), but because they kept me warmer and drier than anything else I’d ever tried.
The Riding Skirts let me work outside and ride my horses in pure comfort.
(Hey, I’d have worn a purple star suit with wings if it gave me more time with my animals… luckily, it didn’t come to that. These are much more attractive than a purple star suit with wings).
If you need a different size or length than is on our size chart, please enter it into the text box at checkout.
*Order fulfillment time is 4-6 weeks. Your skirt is handmade in Alaska. Quality takes time, and we sure appreciate your patience and support!
International customers responsible for all custom and duty taxes.